California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The Master of Public Administration program at California State University, San Bernardino provides student-centered learning that prepares students to become effective public service and nonprofit professionals and community members. We are committed to teaching ethical behavior, democratic values, and the practical complexities of governance. To find out more about the Department of Public Administration, see https://www.csusb.edu/mpa.
Under the general supervision of the Public Administration Department Chair, the incumbent will provide administrative support services that support the programs of the Department of Public Administration.
Duties / Responsibilities Include:
- Incumbent provides support to department instructors and assists with their classroom preparation.
- Assists with course website preparation and minor troubleshooting.
- Assists instructors with creating and/or requesting ADA-accessible documents/ computer files, as needed.
- The incumbent serves as a content editor for the Department of Public Administration website and social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Assists with coordinating MPA marketing.
- Responds to website-based inquiries about the MPA program.
General Program and Office Support
- Incumbent assists in general office coordination and support including answering phones, counter support, and providing general information to students.
- Responds to student inquires requesting program information
Employment Status: Full-time, Temporary, "Non-Exempt" position (with the possibility of converting to permanent).
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. The initial review of applications will begin on November 16, 2021.
- Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some evenings and weekend hours may be required.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities required for this position:
- General office skills
- General Computer skills
- Knowledge of Blackboard and Canvas
- Experience to be proficient in performing most or all work assignments.
- General working knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, procedures, and practices.
- Fluency in using standard office software packages.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to learn, interpret independently, and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures. Able to identify deviations from applicable policies.
- Ability to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough and, at times, creative solutions.
- Ability to perform standard arithmetic functions of a transactional nature, including tracking and comparing data.
- Work often involves front line contacts with a variety of campus and community individuals requiring active problem solving and effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated competence in effectively presenting standard information in writing.
- Demonstrated competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or its equivalent AND two years of experience in general office clerical or secretarial work or the equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree
- General Website/social media management skills
- Experience working in a higher education institution.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,300 per month
Classification Salary Range: $2,912 - $4,592 per month
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)