Santos Manuel Student Union
California State University, San Bernardino
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, RECREATION AND WELLNESS OPERATIONS
Rate of Pay: Based on Qualifications
Target Start Date: January 1, 2022
Employment Status: At-Will Employee, Benefits Eligible, Santos Manuel Student Union
Location: California State University, San Bernardino
Hours per week: 40 Hours (Exempt)
About Santos Manuel Student Union at CSUSB
(This is not a state position)
The Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU), through its programs and facilities is a focal point of the campus where students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni and guests develop an enduring connection to the university. As a campus social hub, the SMSU assists in the retention and development of students, while encouraging a deeper understanding and appreciation of cultural pluralism, gender equity, and ethnic diversity. We accomplish this by providing a variety of cultural, social, educational and recreational activities, which create an environment conducive to personal growth and development. Planned activities also provide students with leadership opportunities and employment, which promotes an active learning experience as well as relaxation, entertainment, and social interaction. As the meeting place on campus for students and organizations, the facilities provide a comfortable and relaxing environment that embodies the delivery of services important to the university community. As a bridge between formal learning and life experience, co-curricular activities coordinated by the SMSU serve as a training ground for development of student leaders.
The SMSU facilities include a spacious lobby, relaxation and study lounge areas, meeting rooms, a state of the art theater, multi-purpose Events Center used for major events, an Automatic Teller Machine, graphics services, and Student Union scheduling. Our newest addition to assist our students academically is the laptop checkout program. Other services and departments located within the SMSU are the Coyote Cafe, the Blue Coyote Pub, Starbucks, Coyote Express convenience store, the Associated Students, Inc., DREAMers Resource and Success Center, Title IX & Gender Equity, Orientation and First Year Experience, and the Office of Student Engagement.
Full-Time, exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time, hourly position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule as necessary in order to respond to emergency/urgent situations is required. This may include working extended hours, evenings, weekends and some holidays.
The Associate Director of Recreation and Wellness Operations has direct oversight of the day-to-day operation of the CSUSB Student Recreation and Wellness Department facilities, including custodial operations and management, preventative maintenance, equipment replacement, risk management, facility scheduling, and the CSUSB Aquatics Center. This position oversees the Maintenance Specialist, Maintenance Custodians, Aquatics, Operations Managers, Membership, Fitness Floor, and all correlated responsibilities as they relate to the Recreation and Wellness Department.
• Directly leads and manages all indoor and outdoor facility spaces within the scope of the Department. This includes but is not limited to the Student Recreation & Wellness Center, Aquatic Center, Outdoor Fitness Area, Center for Well-Being, and Leadership Challenge Center.
• Directly leads and manages a full-time team consisting of a Maintenance Specialist, Maintenance Custodians.
• Directly leads and manages a part-time team consisting of Lifeguards, Operations Managers, Membership, Student Maintenance Custodians, and Fitness Floor.
• Responsible for all facility rentals and scheduling.
• Serves as primary Risk Manager for the Recreation and Wellness department and associated programs.
• Coordinates and maintains vendor relationships as they relate to the CSUSB Recreation and Wellness departments.
• Develops and enforces policies and procedures for Recreation and Wellness facilities
• Responsible for daily inspection of all spaces in the Recreation and Wellness department’s facilities to ensure safety, proper operation, and cleanliness.
• Implements preventative maintenance and life cycle costing programs for all aspects of the Recreation and Wellness department’s facilities.
• Participates in departmental assessment initiatives and student learning outcomes.
• Plans and implements staff training for the Operations, Maintenance, Membership, Fitness Floor, and Aquatics departments. .
• Provides CPR/First Aid courses for SMSU staff and other departments as requested
• Manages the purchase of new assets/equipment and direct maintenance of existing assets/equipment through appropriate organizational methods.
• Responsible for the operating, preparing, forecasting and monitoring of income and expense budgets as it relates to the Operations, Maintenance, Membership, Fitness Floor, and Aquatics departments
• Develops and revises administrative policies and procedures within the areas of operations of the Recreation and Wellness department.
• Develops Emergency Action Plan for the Recreation and Wellness department’s facilities and coordinates the training and implementation of the plan with department staff.
• Plans and implements department-wide staff training, development, incentive program, and recognition.
• Assesses impact and satisfaction of programs, services, and facilities of the Recreation and Wellness department.
• Prepares regular written communication including the following: weekly, monthly and annual reports; financial and participation reports; life cycle costing and equipment inventory reports.
• Builds strong partnerships on campus within the Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU), the Division of Student Affairs, other campus constituents, and with vendors.
• Provides direction and oversight in accordance with the mission and goals of the department, division, and university.
• Completes comprehensive analytical and statistical reports regarding membership, daily usage, program participation, and facility space.
• Develops an approved facilities and operations annual operating and capital budget for equipment purchases and repairs.
• Develops and maintains effective relationships with the community at large.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with ADA, state fire codes, and Cal/OSHA.
• Serves on various SMSU committees and supports the SMSU, CSUSB, and Division of Student Affairs strategic plans and initiatives as assigned.
• Evening/Weekend work responsibility as required
• Serve on University committees, task forces, and teams as assigned
• Participate in training sessions required by the SMSU or CSUSB
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Recreation & Wellness
- Master’s degree in Sports Administration, Higher Education, Management, or a closely related field is required.
At least five years of professional work experience in higher education is required; Graduate Assistantship may account for 1 year of professional experience.
3-5 years of student development and supervision experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
• Understanding and working knowledge of computer management systems including, but not limited to Fusion, Fusion Go, Connect 2, Paylocity, etc.
• Understanding and working knowledge of recreational facility maintenance and operations.
• Ability to operate a personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well with part-time and full-time staff.
• Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests.
• Ability to meet deadlines, work effectively in a dynamic environment, and prioritize workload.
• Ability to manage information flow (including internal and external communication).
• Ability to initiate collaborative work with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to pay attention to detail and be accurate.
• Ability to demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation, and appearance of work.
• Demonstrated Experience in student program development, budget management, and contract negotiations.
• Demonstrated ability to influence the creation, implementation, and management of a balanced array of programs that reflect students' interests and educational needs.
• Proven ability to assess program impact on student learning, including the use of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience in Collegiate Recreation or Student Affairs is Operations preferred.
Work Environment: [The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions].
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens, and other environmental risks.
Physical Demands: [The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.]
Must be able to lift, lower, push, and pull loads ranging in weight from 5-60 lbs.; must be able to carry loads ranging from 20-50 lbs. for distances up to 20 feet; must be capable of kneeling, reaching overhead, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, twisting, stooping, and bending; depending upon the project, the employee may spend 20-50% of the day sitting, 20-50% of day standing, 20-50% of day walking.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Cash option
- CalPERS Retirement
- CalPers 457
- Group Term Life/ Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Holidays & Personal Holiday
- Vacation and Sick pay accruals
- Educational Assistance Benefit is based on the availability of funding.
- Workers' Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- State Disability Insurance
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Santos Manuel Student Union. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Incorporated employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.