California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
In support of the CSUSB Strategic Plan, the College of Extended and Global Education (CEGE) leads the campus' internationalization and global engagement, provides services to international students and scholars, promotes education abroad, and collaborates with international partners to develop and promote activities, programs, and services that meet the needs of the university, regional, national, and global communities.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of the College of Extended and Global Education, the Immigration Lead provides oversight of the day-to-day operations of International Student and Scholar unit and serves as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) and as Responsible Officer (RO). This position is responsible for overseeing immigration reporting, advising, insurance of visa documents for F-1 and J-1 students, J-1 scholars, OPT, CPT, and visa processing for H-1B staff, as well as assisting in Green card eligibility determination. Work is guided by the overall goals and objectives with full accountability for results and requires regular planning, development, independent determination of methods to meet programmatic or administrative goals, as well as independent determination of approaches to project and priorities.
The functions include but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of immigration and university infrastructure, policy, and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability in interpreting and implementing complex immigration regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of immigration regulations and procedures for H-1B and permanent residence processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including intercultural communication, to be able to effectively present ideas in written and presentational formats to diverse audiences.
- Ability to interpret, foresee and proactively address potential issues as a result of changing immigration laws.
- Ability to analyze, understand complex problems from a broad perspective, discern underlying principles, and develop strategic solutions.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Apply in-depth knowledge and understanding of immigration regulations and effectively communicates regulatory changes and updates.
Employment Status: Full-time, Exempt, Probationary with the possibility of converting to permanent.
Application Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning January 28, 2022.
- Generally, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Some weekends and evenings may be required.
- Under general direction, performance of administrative and/or program leadership in a large and/or complex organizational unit with broad impact. Required to assess, formulate, and evaluate the impact of recommended or implemented policies from a strategic and operational perspective. Work requires regular participation in planning and development activities and, as required, independent determination of methods to meet programmatic or administrative goals.
- Influence over key objectives and longer term goals of an organizational unit and/or program with high visibility or broad impact within and outside the organization.
- Independent determination of approaches to project and priorities. Work is reviewed against overall goals and objectives, with full accountability for results.
- Use of appreciable judgment in the development of policies and procedures related to issues frequently not covered by existing policies and procedures. Precedents and policies to guide development activities may be available for reference.
- Use of appreciable ingenuity and innovation to conceive of new approaches and solutions to address complex problems and issues.
- Serve as the prime contact for the program, specialty, and/or organizational unit. May manage relationships with outside entities or agencies and manage sensitive information and situations.
- May oversee day-to-day program or organizational unit operations and provide lead work direction to other professional or administrative staff, with accountability for results.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs and/or administrative specialties, including pertinent laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in and advanced knowledge of the principles, problems, and methods of public and business administration and operational and fiscal management.
- Expertise in administrative survey techniques, operations and systems analysis, statistical and research methods, and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive of and develop strategic solutions.
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations. Demonstrated consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or the equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs, PLUS four years of related experience.
- Master’s degree
- Minimum of 4 years experience working in immigration, specifically working with SEVIS as DSO/PDS
- Six years’ experience working in the area of immigration with progressive responsibility as a DSO/PDSO, ARO/RO
- Experience with the H-1B visa, permanent residence applications, and other employment-related visas and authorizations
- Ability to effectively use applicable immigration information systems and applications in analysis, research, and reporting
- Experience with software applications such as PeopleSoft, Foreign Labor Certification, and relevant immigration platforms
- Experience working in a multicultural and multiethnic environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with software applications such as MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,693 - $8,345 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4,693 - $8,489 per month
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)