California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so.
At CSUSB, you can:
- Build your future
- Work with the best
- Be your authentic self
- Focus on you
- Make a lasting impact
- Work for a purpose that is greater than your own
- Bring everything you are, become everything you want
The Accounts Payable Department manages the payment of vendor invoices, employee and student reimbursements which supports the San Bernardino campus, the Palm Desert Campus and auxiliary operations. The Accounts Payable Department is located on the San Bernardino campus.
The Senior Lead of Accounts Payable and Procure to Pay will provide advanced administrative direction to support the management of the Accounts Payable office for all State, Auxiliary, Travel and Disbursement functions. Responsible for leading accounts payable personnel in performance of accounts payable and related support functions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading, directing, and training the Accounting Technician staff in the proper auditing and processing of vendor payments.
- Ensuring the accuracy of payments by auditing the work activity of the technicians via liability reports, check trial registers, claim schedule reports, various withholding reports, queries, etc.
- Act as A/P liaison to various internal campus individuals and external entities regarding AP issues; evaluating and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Ensuring consistent and accurate application of policies and procedures by technicians.
- Anticipating and planning for changes required to A/P business processes and the application of new and revised tax regulations.
- Analyzing and submitting claim schedules and various tax reports.
- Calculating and controlling the cash needs for payments; etc.
- Most tasks require a knowledge of and ability to interpret various regulations, procedures, manuals, etc. Uses the following regulations, procedures, manuals, precedents, or other such guides:
- Integrated CSU Administrative Manual
- Board of Control Rules & Regulations
- CSU Chancellor's Office Directives
- CFS Manuals and Business Processes
- CSU Policy Manual for Contracting & Procurement
- Franchise Tax Board Regulations
- Internal Revenue Service Regulations
- State Board of Equalization Regulations
- CSUSB Policies
- General business office skills and knowledge of computer software programs, such:
- Peoplesoft Financials
- Imaging software and processes, and integrated ERP systems
- Knowledge of personal computer and software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Leading and training the technicians in the proper auditing and processing of vendor payments; ensuring the accuracy of payments by auditing the work activity of the technicians via liability reports, check trial registers, claim schedule reports, various withholding reports, queries, etc.
- Acts as Accounts Payable liaison to various internal campus individuals and external entities regarding Accounts Payable issues.
- Evaluates and interprets policies and procedures, ensuring consistent and accurate application of policies and procedures by technicians.
- Anticipates and plans for changes required to Accounts Payable business processes and the application of new and revised tax regulations.
- Analyze, generates, and submits claim schedules and various tax reports; calculating and controlling the cash needs for payments; etc.
- Some specific job requirements allocated to this classification are security sensitive and highly confidential.
- Responsible for duties as assigned relating to internal controls including safeguarding of campus assets, reliability of department financial information, and compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies and procedures.
Employment Status: Full-time, Exempt, Probationary with the possibility of converting to permanent.
Application Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 4, 2022.
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply expertise in the advanced theories, principles, methods and practices associated with the functional specialty, program, and/or organizational unit, including applicable internal policies and procedures and pertinent laws and regulations. Laws and regulations are highly complex and require substantial judgment and discretion in interpreting and applying them to the specialty or program area. Incumbents at this level often may have certification in a specialty area.
- Substantial and broad knowledge of public and private entities including their organizational and operating structures, internal systems, and functional areas, as well as the impact of critical external entities on an organization. Ability to integrate and apply this knowledge to anticipate problems and assess the impact of proposed solutions on various organizational areas.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge in project management including research and analytical methodologies. Ability to interpret and integrate complex data and information to formulate appropriate courses of action which have broad and far reaching impact.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex problems from a future-oriented and broad interactive perspective and readily develop proactive solutions that integrate strategic goals into tactical operations.
- Ability to effectively use applicable information systems and applications in analysis, research, and reporting activities and projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence high-level and diverse contacts inside and outside of the CSU system.
- Ability to effectively use all communication methods and formats and to use expertise, as well as persuasion and negotiation skills, to build consensus to achieve short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Work with minimal supervision or direction in all tasks. The expectations and nature of the work requires independent judgment and action, therefore the supervision required is minimal.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles; knowledge of manuals, regulations, laws and procedures that apply to processing all Accounts Payable documents/transactions.
- Abilities to lead, direct, and train staff; the ability to interpret and apply various regulations to the work.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; the ability to independently analyze problems, determine and initiate viable solutions, and make practical recommendations to changes in policies.
- General business office skills and knowledge of computer software programs.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or the equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs, PLUS five to six years of related experience.
- 5 years of accounts payable management or related accounting management experience.
- Prior experience in a fast paced, high volume environment. Possess an inherent sense of urgency. Can handle daily unforeseen challenges in a large, complex A/P department.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, effective communication skills, and team experience. Ability to embrace change, re-prioritize workload on demand and still produce high quality output.
- Must be able to multi-task and work with a variety of people always providing excellent customer service. Strong customer service skills and service centric oriented. Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, strong work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to nurture, train, lead and motivate others.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; excellent attention to detail and follow through. Ability to troubleshoot by making sound decisions within defined parameters.
- Ability to accept and give feedback in the spirit of open communication with the goal of enhanced performance.
- Has a strong understanding of tax reporting and withholding issues, such as 592B, 1099M and 1042S reporting types.
- Skilled in handling system interfaces and the reconciliation of data uploaded into the ERP system.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,708 - $7,875 per month
Classification Salary Range: $5,022 - $9,083 per month
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)