Under the general direction of the Director of Strategic Communication & Brand Management in the Office of Strategic Communication to proactively promote CSUSB through the development of design content. The Senior Graphic Designer will assign and provide overall artistic direction to maintain the university brand and align with university strategic goals and objectives. They will provide graphic design and animation services for academic and promotional/marketing collateral (print and video) for CSUSB as assigned.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize, design and produce print and digital-ready resource material (promotional, marketing, advertising, etc.) for both internal and external university marketing efforts building upon CSUSB’s established brand and graphic standards.
- Interpret needs of staff and administrators, clarify objectives, and apply methodology to design innovative and effective visual communication solutions.
- Meet and consult with the campus and external personnel as needed to coordinate production of graphic/digital materials from concept to delivery consistent with the university’s established brand and graphic identity standards. Contacts are often at the highest level requiring tact and discretion in providing advice and guidance.
- Work independently on assigned projects or as a member of a project team.
- Work on strategic, longer-term projects related to developing communication and marketing themes and templates to communicate with key constituents.
- Work involves planning, organizing and coordinating a variety of complex projects, including budget preparation, costing analyses and vendor management.
- Function as a main contact for incoming creative service work. Assign and distribute work to full time designers (including self) and part-time student design assistants. Monitor design work progress and realign priorities when needed to meet deadlines.
- Provide creative, artistic and lead work direction to others on proper artistic and graphic concepts, techniques and processes for the production of electronically generated camera-ready/direct-to-plate art, web and other multimedia.
- Monitor and provide feedback for all graphic design to ensure university identity and branding is maintained. Oversee, provide instruction and design guidance to student design assistants.
- Oversee guidelines for file setup, pre- and post-production and archiving both print and digital projects.
- Monitor how files are being generated; available to assist in file setup if a problem occurs; research and determine the most productive ways to produce work; train other designers as needed.
- Serve as a steward of CSUSB’s visual identity, monitors its usage on publications/promotional items produced throughout the campus and off campus vendors as needed.
- Collect and distribute publication/digital files to appropriate agencies, suppliers, etc.
- Provide requested imagery as needed for all print/digital needs.
- Maintain positive working relationships with faculty, staff, students and other constituents.
- Responsible for proofreading and design review of projects to ensure quality design and accuracy that meets university brand and style guidelines.
- Maintain websites with updated information, photos, video and other content, using the university’s content management system.
- Meet production schedules and deadlines.
- Prepare printing specifications to obtain bids. Confer with printers as needed.
- Attend university meetings and events as needed.
- Track and communicate job progress in production management software.
- Oversee and maintain digital archives and image resource files.
- Contribute to the universities vision of being the Academic leader in customer service through quality, commitment, courtesy and teamwork.
- Ensure proper maintenance and inventory of equipment to assure adequate operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in graphic design, communications, marketing or related field with at least five years of related professional or technical experience.
- Extensive knowledge of communications and graphic design theory; advanced skills in graphic art, design and illustration; knowledge of production techniques and processes; and a demonstrated understanding of marketing communications.
- Advanced skills in complex computer graphics software and interactive technologies including a thorough understanding of file formats and peripheral software (e.g., printing, scanning, film recording) and working knowledge of graphics delivery and implementation software.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable copyright laws relative to the use of graphic and textual materials.
- Strong art direction, project planning and project management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of printing and other vendor services to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Strong consultative and persuasive skills including demonstrated subject matter expertise in key instructional or promotional areas requiring graphic communications support.
- Demonstrated ability managing project budgets.
- Strong graphic design skills and artistic ability in order to translate communication needs into an artistic design.
- Solid working knowledge of applicable graphic design software packages and hardware system and peripherals.
- Ability to use interactive technologies and to create new methods for combining software and graphic packages to address communication and visual product goals.
- Ability to understand university level curriculum concepts and convey them graphically.
- Thorough knowledge of current campus documents and university-side publication needs.
- Ability to prepare press ready materials and a working knowledge of design and electronic prepress processes used in the production of complex publications
- Ability to plan, coordinate and direct graphic art communication projects and handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to consult and communicate effectively with faculty, staff and students and to interpret and translate their needs into effective visual formats.
- General knowledge of systems, techniques and processes used in website design, photography, and other applicable media.
- Demonstrated understanding of various communication vehicles and methods.
- Demonstrated ability to understand communication goals.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills.
- Skills in the utilization of specified computer graphic design programs including Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere and After Effects. Experience creating video with After Effect animation is highly preferred.
- Possess a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Ability to take artistic direction with a positive attitude.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work effectively under tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- Must be a creative problem-solver.
- Ability to provide lead work direction.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and maintain professional relationships with many different constituencies within and outside the University.
- Must be able to maintain a friendly attitude during stressful conditions.
- Must be able and willing to take direction.
- Ability to produce in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to analyze graphic and technical information and create interpretive illustrations.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Be willing to take advantage of professional development learning opportunities.
- Be a self-starter completing assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to organize and plan work and projects including handling multiple priorities.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse campus community.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and become conversant with complex issues.
- Experience in a marketing / public relations agency environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the organizational unit.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with staff and students.
- Well-developed organizational skills to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Prior experience or proficiency with Apple computers
- Experience designing for ADA accessibility requirements preferred.
- Working knowledge of university organizational policies, rules, regulations, procurement, purchasing.
- Experience in a higher education development or marketing setting is preferred.
- Passion for California State University, San Bernardino
Compensation and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,583 - $5,833 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4,391 - $7,945 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Work status: Full-time/Non-Exempt/Probationary
Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
The application deadline is Thursday, December 1, 2022.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act