Santos Manuel Student Union
California State University, San Bernardino
Rate of Pay: Dependent on Qualifications
Target Start Date: September 1, 2021
Employment Status: At-Will Employee, Benefits Eligible, Santos Manuel Student Union
Location: California State University, San Bernardino
Hours per week: 40 Hours (Non-Exempt)
About Santos Manuel Student Union at CSUSB
(This is not a state position)
The Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU), through its programs and facilities, is a focal point of the campus where students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni, and guests develop an enduring connection to the university. As a campus social hub, the SMSU assists in the retention and development of students, while encouraging a deeper understanding and appreciation of cultural pluralism, gender equity, and ethnic diversity. We accomplish this by providing a variety of cultural, social, educational, and recreational activities, which create an environment conducive to personal growth and development. Planned activities also provide students with leadership opportunities and employment, which promotes an active learning experience as well as relaxation, entertainment, and social interaction. As the meeting place on campus for students and organizations, the facilities provide a comfortable and relaxing environment that embodies the delivery of services important to the university community. As a bridge between formal learning and life experience, co-curricular activities coordinated by the SMSU serve as a training ground for the development of student leaders.
The SMSU facilities include a spacious lobby, relaxation and study lounge areas, meeting rooms, a state-of-the-art theater, multi-purpose Events Center used for major events, an Automatic Teller Machine, graphics services, and Student Union scheduling. Our newest addition to assisting our students academically is the laptop checkout program. Other services and departments located within the SMSU are the Coyote Cafe, the Blue Coyote Pub, Starbucks, Coyote Express convenience store, the Associated Students, Inc., DREAMers Resource, and Success Center, Title IX & Gender Equity, Orientation, and First-Year Experience, and the Office of Student Engagement.
Full-Time, non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time, hourly position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule as necessary to respond to emergency/urgent situations is required. This may include working extended hours, evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Under the direction of the Recreation & Wellness Director, the Fitness Coordinator will be responsible for planning, implementing, and assessing innovative and diverse fitness programs and services that meet the needs of the CSUSB community. This includes personal training, group exercise, instructional classes & workshops, and providing remote support to the Palm Desert Campus (PDC) related to a comprehensive fitness program. The Fitness Coordinator is an integral member of a hard-working team comprised of full-time and part-time staff within the Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness Department. They should possess the ability to work both independently and as a team member. Finally, they shall demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse population of program members, guests, and staff.
Typical activities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates the areas of personal training, group exercise, instructional classes, and workshops and provides remote support to PDC to deliver a comprehensive fitness program.
- Responsible for the daily management of the assigned program areas including recruitment, scheduling, motivation, evaluation, and retention of personnel, ensuring supervision and safe operation of the programs, and ensuring that activities are inclusive and conducted in accordance with established service standards.
- Directly manages 1-3 student supervisors, 20-30 part-time and student employees, and 5-10 Kinesiology interns.
- Coordinates all activities related to personal training program including but not limited to complimentary consultations, client risk assessment, client fitness assessment, one-on-one, and buddy personal training services.
- Coordinates all activities related to the group exercise program including but not limited to designing and implementing 30+ diverse and innovative group exercise classes on a weekly basis.
- Coordinates all activities related to the instructional programs including the planning and execution of lesson plans as well as assessing the effectiveness and impact of each specific program.
- Makes appropriate revisions to continuously improve instructional programs associated with designated programs (e.g. Personal Training Workshop Series, CoyoteFit) to broaden and improve instructional program offerings.
- Assists Director in policy development coordinates program evaluation and public relations for the assigned areas.
- Primary site coordinator for Kinesiology Department interns.
- Integral member of the Division of Student Affairs Health and Wellness team; Be Well Yotes.
- Supervises and develops student and part-time staff working within the assigned program areas.
- Monitors budget regularly and ensures adherence to budget guidelines. Suggests steps to adjust expenditures and revenues based on budget tracking and forecasting to Director.
- Assists department management in the fitness equipment life cycle costing program to ensure capital and non-capital fitness-related equipment are repaired and replaced per industry standards and guidelines.
- Collaborates with department staff, campus partners, and local community entities in providing a variety of fitness-related programs for the campus community.
- Provides fitness program-related reports on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Assists in department strategic planning.
- Attends seminars and conferences to maintain program and professional development; earns continuing education units when necessary, to maintain certification(s).
- Assists department management with the training and development efforts for all part-time staff.
- Teach American Red Cross CPR/First Aid courses as needed.
- As assigned by Director, serves on appropriate committees at the department, division, and university level as a champion for Recreation & Wellness-related activities.
- Other comparable duties as assigned by the Director.
Customer Service and Collaboration:
- Knows the mission and goals of the Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness department and commits to achieving them.
- Ensures Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness customer service guidelines are met by all staff in the department.
- Ensures department guidelines are established and met by all staff in the department.
Develops and maintains positive working relationships with CSUSB faculty, staff, alumni, and community.
- Bachelor’s degree in health science, behavioral sciences, kinesiology, exercise science, public health, or related field program is required
- 1-2 years of experience working with college students required, ideally in a student development or advising capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate a personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and ability to learn and utilize new software programs.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well with part-time and full-time staff.
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work effectively in a dynamic environment, and prioritize workload.
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal and external communication).
- Ability to initiate collaborative work with diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and be accurate.
- Ability to demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation, and appearance of work.
- Demonstrated Experience in student program development, budget management, and contract negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to influence the creation, implementation, and management of a balanced array of programs that reflect students' interests and educational needs.
- Proven ability to assess program impact on student learning, including the use of quantitative and qualitative data.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Currently certified in nationally accredited certification organization (e.g. National Strength & Conditioning Association, American College of Sports Medicine, National Academy of Sports Medicine)
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Student supervision experience preferred.
- Health & well-being industry vocational training or certification preferred.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Cash option
- CalPERS Retirement
- CalPers 457
- Group Term Life/ Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Holidays & Personal Holiday
- Vacation and Sick pay accruals
- Educational Assistance Benefit is based on the availability of funding.
- Workers' Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- State Disability Insurance
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Santos Manuel Student Union. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or the continued employment of current Santos Manuel Student Union employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.