Provides primary technical and production support for Financials, Human Resources, Student Administration, and other campus administrative and academic departments. The Analyst/Programmer (Expert) analyzes and develops systems and technology-based solutions to meet user needs including applications, databases, and related systems.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Analyze user system and application needs, determine and evaluate alternative solutions and approaches to meeting those needs.
- Develop highly complex information technology systems and solutions, often involving multiple platforms and systems.
- Consult with users to identify and document software/system purpose, workflow issues, output needs and to determine overall functional and technical system requirements and specifications.
- Investigate, research, and operationalize new systems and technologies for optimal integration, design, and implementation.
- Act as a software vendor liaison and make recommend modifications to third party software to meet user needs.
- Assist in monitoring and maintaining supported application infrastructure to identify and correct underlying issues and integrity problems.
- Assess the impact of CMS or campus change control procedure.
- Track and communicate assigned technical projects and problems to resolution and follow up on status with departmental leads, division management and other technical staff.
- Provide technical support to the campus technical and functional staff who are maintaining or troubleshooting supported applications or processes.
- Perform research, analysis and problem resolution on supported application implementations, modifications, and operational issues.
- Participate in PeopleSoft upgrades and maintenance projects.
- Serve as the campus liaison to CMS for PeopleSoft issues and changes.
- Exercise leadership to coordinate projects and achieve desired results. Lead technical efforts and assess skills within a team and work to build on individual strengths to maximize team results.
- Exercise full self-management with regard to system analysis and development. Independently manage and implement complex projects with a broad scope and impact.
- Integrate and apply substantial knowledge of related work specialties to achieve innovative solutions. Anticipate the impact of problems and solutions on other systems and areas.
- Collaborate in the design of database systems and programs which include access methods, access time file structures, device allocation, validation checks, statistical methods, and security.
- Work with user community to understand data access and integration needs.
- Ensure the integration of systems through the database structure.
- Monitor database standards and procedures, system usage and performance.
- Troubleshoot and resolve database and data problems.
- Collaborate in the development of disaster recovery plans.
- Collaborate in the development and administration of policies, standards, and procedures for strategic data planning, data analysis and modeling, and data element standardization and use to ensure accurate, useful, and readily accessible data.
- Collaborate in the development and administration of data use policies, procedures, and standards.
- Monitor, analyze, and verify data to ensure data integrity; develop assigned databases to support specific applications.
- Analyze data requirements, develop, and document data dictionary, and develop data models.
- Assist in data transfers or sharing of files.
- Collaborate in the development and administration of procedures to access or interact with remote resources.
- Exercise full self-management with regard to database analysis. Independently manage and implement complex projects with a broad scope and impact.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field.
- Five years of relevant full-time experience or equivalent.
- Seven years full-time applied experience and training or equivalent.
- Advanced foundation of knowledge and skills in applications programming and systems analysis and related programming support functions is a prerequisite.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database design.
- Ability to independently identify and solve complex production problems.
- Ability to work with outside systems integration.
- Clear, positive, solution-oriented communication skills to translate user needs into effective technical solutions.
- Ability to integrate and apply work related knowledge to achieve innovative solutions.
- Ability to anticipate the impact of problems and solutions on other systems.
- Ability to investigate and research new systems and technologies and develop complex information technology systems and solutions.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad perspective and explore, conceive, and implement solutions and ideas in new ways.
- Ability to predict and anticipate problems and be proactive when creating solutions.
- Demonstrated communication expertise using persuasion and negotiation.
- Ability to lead technical team efforts and assess skills within a team while working to build on individual strengths to maximize team results.
- Ability to teach and transfer knowledge and skills to others.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a variety of staff and management with varying technical skills and knowledge.
- Master’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or an equivalent preferred.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft or an equivalent ERP system.
- Experience working with mobile technologies.
- Experience with Web Services.
- Data Visualization and analysis using Business Intelligence or Tableau.
- Machine learning algorithms using Python.
- Cloud computing using AWS.
- Prior experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle application software and data warehousing concepts.
- Experience in understanding business processes for Student Finance, Financial Aid, Human Resources, Finance, and Academic units in an academic environment across various departments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,686 to $8,192 per monthly
Classification Salary Range: $6,686 - $12,947 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/Temporary (up to one year with the possibility of further renewal)
Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
This position will remain open until filled.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the Office of Employee and Labor Relations by phone at (909) 537-5138 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act