About University Enterprises Corporation at CSUSB
(This is not a state position)
University Enterprises Corporation at CSUSB ("UEC") supports the university's educational mission by providing quality services that complement the instructional program. The University depends upon UEC to provide services that cannot be supported with state funds. We’re responsible for business enterprises on campus including, but not limited to, dining, bookstore, convenience store, and vending services. We also serve as the grantee for federal, state, and local funding for research and sponsored projects.
Temporary, part time, non-benefited position through 8/31/2024 (Appointment may be renewed annually based upon availability of funds, availability of work and satisfactory job performance).
Salary: $19.00-$25.00 per hour
Location: Various locations in San Bernardino, Colton, and Rialto
19 hours per week. Schedule to be arranged, but typically, Monday-Friday with flexible hours. Some nights and weekend work may be required.
First Review Deadline
This position will remain open until filled.
Under minimal supervision of the Talent Search Assistant Director, the Academic Advisor will work independently to:
- Recruit and retain program participants in middle school
- Provide assessment to all program participants, including performing an assessment on new program participants within 30 days of their entrance into either program for the purpose of establishing baseline data, conducting assessment tests no less than once per year, and obtaining annual CST scores for all program participants.
- Create an Individual Academic Plan (IAP) or similar educational plan for each middle school program participant within two weeks from when the participant gains admission into the program and completes assessment, careful to ensure that the plan includes a clear goal toward meeting A-G college admission requirement.
- Lead bimonthly small group and individual skills development sessions.
- Lead activities designed to promote career awareness and aid in the development of a career plan with long range academic and skills building goals.
- Expose students to cultural activities that expand their understanding of STEAM and community.
- Provide opportunities for academic growth and tutoring.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a peer-mentoring program.
- Meet with each program participant no less than once per semester to review their IAP or alternative plan, providing modifications or additions as necessary.
- Communicate with school counselors, administration, and other support personnel to ensure that academic progress is shared, accurate, and consistent for each program participant.
- Provide advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection to program participants, when applicable.
- Act as the primary point of contact between Educational Talent Search staff and program participants for all academic related matters, such as G.P.A, weekly grade reports, probationary program status, and successful progress towards earning a high school diploma.
- Act as the primary contact with school administration and registrar for the purpose of obtaining quarterly grade reports, semester grade reports, transcripts, and other academic records, in order to ensure that such information is as up-to-date as possible.
- Encourage the intellectual development of students.
- Provide mentorship to students, such as the development and oversight of an ETS Club at each target school.
- Ensure that Talent Search is highly publicized in each service school, including distributing brochures and other media.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and monitor education plans for each student.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of college entrance application processes, financial aid requirements, scholarships, and programs of study.
- Contact and meet with parents to discuss progress of students.
- Advocate for the various needs of Educational Talent Search.
- Address student concerns when issues arise.
- Work with the Educational Talent Search staff to conduct a review of program components;
- Assist with coordinating logistics for Educational Talent Search events.
- Assist with collecting data for the Annual Performance Reports (including collection, accuracy and verification of data).
- Plan, coordinate, and assist with the execution of all program related activities.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
The candidate is required to have knowledge of the A-G requirements,
requirements for high school graduation and a general understanding of the
postsecondary admissions and financial aid processes and criteria.
- Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred.
- Bilingual/Spanish preferred.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates that have received TRiO-specific training, such as the trainings sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the project's target population.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
University Enterprises Corporation at CSUSB is committed to a diverse workforce and affirmative action, and is an equal opportunity employer. UEC maintains and promotes a policy of non-discrimination and non-harassment on the basis of race, sex, gender, color, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic characteristics, status as a disabled veteran, or disabled veteran of the Vietnam era.
To view the UEC Affirmative Action Program, please contact UEC Human Resources at (909) 537-7589 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm.
As an equal opportunity employer, University Enterprises Corporation at CSUSB (UEC) is committed to a diverse workforce. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access UEC's career website as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling UEC's Human Resources Manager at 909-537-7589.
EEO AA Policy Statement
Employment of Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans
UEC is an EOE - Minority/Female/Disability/Veterans. This position will remain open until filled. This has been designated as a sensitive position. The selected candidate must successfully pass a thorough background investigation to include a criminal history check prior to appointment.