Provides proficient technical and production support for Financials, Human Resources, Student Administration, and other campus administrative and academic departments. The Analyst Programmer analyzes and develops systems and technology-based solutions to meet user needs including applications, databases, and related systems.
Major duties and responsibilities:
Systems Analysis and Development
• Fully proficient to analyze user system and application needs, determine and evaluate alternative solutions and approaches to meeting those needs
• Consult with users to identify and document software/system purpose, work flow issues, output needs and to determine overall functional and technical system requirements and specifications
• Collaborate in the development of specifications and requirements for the optimal integration, design and implementation of systems and equipment
• Act as a software vendor liaison and make recommend modifications to third party software to meet user needs
• Assist in monitoring and maintaining supported application infrastructure to identify and correct underlying issues and integrity problems
• Assess impact of CMS or campus change control procedure
• Track and communicate assigned technical projects and problems to resolution and follow up on status with departmental leads, division management and other technical staff
• Provide technical support to the campus technical and functional staff who are maintaining or troubleshooting supported applications or processes
• Perform research, analysis and problem resolution on supported application implementations, modifications, and operational issues
• Participate in PeopleSoft upgrades and maintenance projects
• Serve as the campus liaison to CMS for PeopleSoft issues and changes
• Develop succinct, timely programming code or modify software in a logical fashion which optimizes programming resources and meets functional user requirements
• Use productivity tools to develop and modify applications software to meet user needs
• Work with users to test and debug programs
• Verify data acquisition and output media and format
• Modify existing or third party software
• Write documentation to provide user support for new or modified programs and production/operation procedures
• Maintain and support assigned systems to ensure minimal downtime and loss of productivity and service
• Evaluate and enhance the efficiency of existing programs in meeting current and future user needs
• Maintain and support associated databases
• Install new, modified or third party software releases and/or updates
• Evaluate and supplement vendor supplied documentation for third party software
• Collaborate in the design of database systems and programs which include access methods, access time file structures, device allocation, validation checks, statistical methods, and security
• Work with user community to understand data access and integration needs
• Ensure the integration of systems through the database structure
• Monitor database standards and procedures, system usage and performance
• Troubleshoot and resolve database and data problems
• Collaborate in the development of disaster recovery plans
• Collaborate in the development and administration of policies, standards, and procedures for strategic data planning, data analysis and modeling, and data element standardization and use to ensure accurate, useful, and readily accessible data
• Collaborate in the development and administration of data use policies, procedures, and standards.
• Monitor, analyze, and verify data to ensure data integrity; develop assigned databases to support specific application
• Analyze data requirements, develop and document data dictionary, and develop data models.
• Assist in data transfers or sharing of files
• Collaborate in the development and administration of procedures to access or interact with remote resources.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field, plus two years of relevant full-time experience OR five years full time applied experience and training or equivalent.
• Knowledge and skills in applications programming and systems analysis and related programming support functions is a prerequisite
• Intermediate knowledge of relational database design
• Ability to independently identify and solve production problems
• Ability to work with outside systems integration
• Clear, positive, solution-oriented communication skills to translate user needs into effective technical solutions
• Ability to integrate and apply work related knowledge to achieve innovative solutions
• Ability to anticipate the impact of problems and solutions on other systems
• Ability to investigate and research new systems and technologies and develop information technology systems and solutions
• Ability to understand problems from a broad perspective and explore, conceive, and implement solutions and ideas in new ways
• Ability to predict and anticipate problems and be proactive when creating solutions
• Demonstrated communication using persuasion and negotiation
• Ability to enhance technical team efforts and demonstrate skills within a team while working to build on individual strengths to maximize team results
• Ability to teach and transfer knowledge and skills to others
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a variety of staff and management with varying technical skills and knowledge
• Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or an equivalent preferred
• Experience in a higher education setting
• Experience working with PeopleSoft or an equivalent ERP system
• Experience working with mobile technologies
• Experience with Web Services
• Data Visualization and analysis using Business Intelligence or Tableau
• Machine learning algorithms using Python
• Cloud computing using AWS
• Prior experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle application software and data warehousing concepts
• Experience in understanding business processes for Student Finance, Financial Aid, Human Resources, Finance, and Academic units in an academic environment across various departments
Compensation and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,678 - $6,600 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4,678 - $11,547 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/Probationary
Academic year schedule: Monday through Friday (8:00 am – 5:00 pm), some evenings/weekends.
Summer schedule: Monday through Thursday (7:00 am - 5:30 pm), some evenings/weekends.
The application deadline is: August 10, 2023
As of January 1, 2022, the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
California State University, San Bernardino in not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (i.e. H1-B Visas).
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Drivers License Check
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact Nora Jean Fernandez, ADA Manager at Nora.Fernandez@csusb.edu
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act