Santos Manuel Student Union
California State University, San Bernardino
Rate of Pay: Dependent on Qualifications
Target Start Date: July 1, 2021
Employment Status: At-Will Employee, Benefits Eligible, Santos Manuel Student Union
Location: California State University, San Bernardino
Hours per week: 40 Hours (Non-Exempt)
About Santos Manuel Student Union at CSUSB
(This is not a state position)
The Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU), through its programs and facilities is a focal point of the campus where students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni and guests develop an enduring connection to the university. As a campus social hub, the SMSU assists in the retention and development of students, while encouraging a deeper understanding and appreciation of cultural pluralism, gender equity, and ethnic diversity. We accomplish this by providing a variety of cultural, social, educational and recreational activities, which create an environment conducive to personal growth and development. Planned activities also provide students with leadership opportunities and employment, which promotes an active learning experience as well as relaxation, entertainment, and social interaction. As the meeting place on campus for students and organizations, the facilities provide a comfortable and relaxing environment that embodies the delivery of services important to the university community. As a bridge between formal learning and life experience, co-curricular activities coordinated by the SMSU serve as a training ground for development of student leaders.
The SMSU facilities include a spacious lobby, relaxation and study lounge areas, meeting rooms, a state of the art theater, multi-purpose Events Center used for major events, an Automatic Teller Machine, graphics services, and Student Union scheduling. Our newest addition to assist our students academically is the laptop checkout program. Other services and departments located within the SMSU are the Coyote Cafe, the Blue Coyote Pub, Starbucks, Coyote Express convenience store, the Associated Students, Inc., DREAMers Resource and Success Center, Title IX & Gender Equity, Orientation and First Year Experience, and the Office of Student Engagement.
Full-Time, Non-exempt position.
This position shall be opened until filled. The initial review date is May 28, 2021.
This is a regular, full-time, hourly position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule as necessary in order to respond to emergency/urgent situations is required. This may include working extended hours, evenings, weekends and some holidays.
Under the direction of the Santos Manuel Student Union Associate Director of Operations, the Santos Manuel Student Union Maintenance Specialist is responsible for all aspects of diagnosing, repairing, installing, and maintain all equipment in the Santos Manuel Student Union as well as general maintenance and repair of the facilities as assigned. The Maintenance Specialist is an integral member of a hard-working team comprised of full-time and part-time staff within the Santos Manuel Student Union. The Maintenance Specialist should possess the ability to work both independently and as a team member. The Maintenance Specialist shall demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse population of program members, guests, and staff.
Typical activities include but are not limited to:
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs plumbing, heating, water and sewer systems.
- Responsible for all aspects of maintaining bowling lanes, pinsetters, lane maintenance machine, scoring equipment and all other related mechanical components.
- Cleans, repairs, and adjusts automatic scoring equipment.
- Provides electrical maintenance and repair work; makes repairs to floors and carpeting, furniture repair and performs minor carpentry.
- Maintains and repairs windows, doors, screens, blinds, gutters, and drains; replaces light bulbs and electrical fixtures.
- Performs light cement work, interior and exterior painting and patching; carries materials and assists with heavy objects, cleaning, and other duties on the interior and exterior of the building.
- Familiarity and capability with all types of hand and power tools as well as good working knowledge of all types of hardware, fasteners, adhesives, structural sealants and industrial coatings.
- Responsible for hiring, training and supervising student assistants to perform routine custodial and maintenance work and set-ups.
- Advises student employees and student managers in the proper use of equipment, materials and techniques; provides instructions on proper safety precautions. Assists in training part-time student staff on minor repairs in the Specialist’s absence.
- Estimates cost of labor and materials and makes recommendations regarding priorities for requisitioning supplies and materials. Maintains key cabinets and keeps appropriate supply of key copies.
- Serves as primary resource for development and monitoring of preventative maintenance program. Develops and monitors building safety inspection and training program. Maintains an awareness of OSHA and ADA policies and procedures.
- Develops and monitors hazardous materials communications, SDS, awareness and training program.
- Assists the Associate Director, Operations with the energy management/conservation program, in monitoring inventory control system, in monitoring and inspecting of fire safety equipment, and in monitoring and testing building control systems.
- Assists on interaction with contractors and sub-contractors to effect repair and maintenance projects.
- Maintains accurate records and written reports on maintenance facility repairs, work orders, inventory, and preventative maintenance program.
- Maintains accurate records of parts, costs, and machine performance.
- Assists staff in office and space planning; serves as principle resource for installation of: electrical, heating and air conditioning equipment; voice and data lines; carpet, paint and window coverings. Moves office equipment and provides other maintenance duties as needed.
- Provides regular statistical reports; analyzes maintenance needs and assists with prioritization of projects.
- Performs routine custodial and event set up duties as backup to regular staff.
- Is available on call for emergency situations in the building during nights and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Director, Operations.
Customer Service and Collaboration:
- Knows the mission and goals of the Santos Manuel Student Union and commits to achieving them.
- Ensures SMSU customer service guidelines are met by all staff in the department.
- Ensures department guidelines are established and met by all staff in the department.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with CSUSB Facility Services staff.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with vendors, manufacturers, and other regular contacts and customers.
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies.
- Adheres to the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and ensures all department safety plans are up-to-date and followed.
- Ensures monthly inspections of facility and equipment in division are conducted to ensure all areas are clean, in good repair and in compliance with all safety codes.
- Ensures all employees are provided safety training and attend safety meetings regularly.
- Ensures compliance with SMSU and CSUSB’s departmental Code of Safe Practices.
- Maintains attendance records of safety meetings as required by OSHA rules.
- Implements risk management/safety plan, including regular review of accident reports and changes required to avoid reoccurrence. Ensures completion of supervisor accident investigation for each accident.
- Ensures all staff possesses required certifications within respective job description.
- Schedules monthly fire extinguisher inspections.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent is required.
- Possess thorough knowledge of methods, tools, and equipment necessary for the repair, alteration, maintenance, installation and operation of equipment and the facility
- Must have knowledge of building, fire, OSHA, and life safety codes and regulations
- Ability to read, write, and work from diagrams, operating and equipment manuals
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well with part-time and full-time staff
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests
- Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively in dynamic environment
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal and external communication)
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty and guest
- Ability to pay attention to detail and be accurate
- Ability to demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
Licenses & Certifications:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification required (certifications may be obtained within first month of employment)
- Graduate of certified AMF maintenance training school preferred
- Sexual Harassment Prevention for Supervisors
- FERPA Data Security & Privacy
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Graduate of certified AMF maintenance training school preferred
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to lift, lower, push, and pull loads ranging in weight from 5-60 lbs.; must be able to carry loads ranging from 20-50 lbs. for distances up to 20 feet; must be capable of kneeling, reaching overhead, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, twisting, stooping, and bending; depending upon the project, employee may spend 20-50% of day sitting, 20-50% of day standing, 20-50% of day walking.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Cash option
- CalPERS Retirement
- CalPers 457
- Group Term Life/ Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Holidays & Personal Holiday
- Vacation and Sick pay accruals
- Educational Assistance Benefit is based on the availability of funding.
- Workers' Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
- State Disability Insurance
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Santos Manuel Student Union. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Incorporated employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.